Sunday, March 6, 2011

Welcome to the O3LD Blog!

The first meeting of Operation Three-Legged Dolphin was held in November 2007 in the 3N building on the College of Staten Island's campus.  Those who attended enjoyed the Gingerbread Pop Tarts and Coca-Cola I picked up on the way over.  At the start of the meeting, I drew a quick sketch of a dolphin with three legs, which I have recreated here, three-and-a-half years later. 


As I was leading the meeting, Dave Di Lillo, who took the title of "Secretary" but has always done so much more for the magazine, went over to the chalkboard and started drawing an upright version of the dolphin in full military fatigues.  Unwilling to concede that I had not intended for the dolphin to appear upright all along, I went home that evening and whipped up the first-ever non-chalk drawing of the three-legged dolphin.

The three-legged dolphin circa 2007.
Yes, I drew the dolphin's middle leg backwards. This was quickly corrected when I realized its walking would be reduced to a crab-like crawl, and I needed it to be athletic and fully mobile.  

While the question of who originally designed the dolphin (as well as whether I lost Dave's art project in our sophomore year of high school, when we first met) will forever be debated, what remains a fact is that there have been dozens of people who have put lots of work into making Operation Three-Legged Dolphin- or O3LD, as we like to call it, in short- what it is today.

I have been entirely blessed to have graduated from CSI and seen O3LD taken over by a new creative team, who will be frequently posting on this blog, along with myself.  Here you will be able to read old and current issues of the magazine electronically- on your computers, tablets, or mobile devices, as well as find out about all the latest in the O3LD universe.

So add us to your RSS feeds, find us on Facebook, link to us, send in submissions to our O3LD@live.com address, and keep reading our humble little magazine, which has become less humble as we make ourselves known on every possible platform.  

Thank you for many years of support and may we always be dolphins at heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment